geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] Eclipse as a Geronimo sub-project
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:14:56 GMT
On Aug 22, 2005, at 8:24 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> So we now have a subproject policy.
>
> Any thoughts on taking the IBM eclipse tooling contribution as a
> subproject?  It's independent, has interested people that are
> annoying us with patches :) adds value to the project and grows the
> community in a technically diverse way,  and has a plausible roadmap.
>
> I would suggest that if we do so, we'd move the current code from
> sandbox and add Sachin Patel as a committer for the subproject.
>
> This is a sensitive issue because of there's a person involved, so
> if anyone has any issues that need to be discussed confidentially,
> please feel free to post to pmc@geronimo.apache.org, or mail to me
> or another PMC member.

I think it is a bit premature to make this a full fledged
subproject.  I personally don't use eclipse so I don't know if it
builds, or is what users want.  For now, I think the sandbox is
appropriate place to incubate the code and community.   We need to be
careful when creating subprojects, so we don't end up with lots of
abandoned codebases.  I guessing this will happen quickly for the
eclipse plugin given how many eclipse users there are out there and
we will be better off for waiting a bit.

-dain