geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>
Subject Re: Thread Pool vs WorkManager
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:54:56 GMT
At 08:19 AM 8/16/2005, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>         What's the difference between using a thread pool and using a work
>manager?  I think OpenEJB uses thread pools, and it sounds like ServiceMix
>uses work managers.  Can we standardize on work managers?

At some level they are the same, but Work Manager is a more
appropriate abstraction especially if you want to start scheduling
stuff in strange or specific ways.

For instance WebLogic Server has many WorkManagers (and you can
create your own) but they all map to a single thread pool since
threads are a costly resource. There are per-WorkManager properties
that affect scheduling priorities etc, etc. WebSphere on OS/390 [I
think?] allows you to schedule work remotely so a thread pool does
not really compute in this context.

andy