geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Web container-specific configuration
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:08:05 GMT
After talking this issue over with Jeremy a bit and thinking about it
some more I don't think that the generic multi-container schema is a
good idea.  I think the deployment system should be based on

namespace determines builder

and that we should not do anything that will make this difficult in the
future.

If the packaging plugin was working, we could, for each app (such as
the console) that needs to run on both containers, generate  a
configuration for each container.  Then you could run either one,
without rebuilding geronimo or the application config.

I'm going to work on a proposal for schemas that would help keep the
configs for different containers as similar as possible.

Meanwhile I've committed the "any" solution as I think it is
considerably better than what we have now.  One problem with this is
that most tomcat configurations will not in fact be portable: if they
contain tomcat realm or tomcat valve gbeans, the config just plain
won't deploy under jetty.  It might not be so easy, but I'm sure there
are equivalent ways to get in trouble using jetty.

Until we actually have the packaging plugin working, I suggest we have
the tomcat and jetty builders munge a generic namespace to their
specific namespace, so that completely generic plans will still deploy
on both.

thanks
david jencks