geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: M5 Time ;-)
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:40:17 GMT
On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:02 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2005, at 1:47 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>>> When we did that we only released one binary so there was no
>>> ambiguity in the release. If the Jetty version of M5 is certified
>>> and the Tomcat version isn't, it will be misleading to users.
>>>
>>> -1 on any M5 binary that is not certified.
>>
>> IIRC a release can not be vetoed except for a technical reason, so
>> this is a -1 opinion and not a official veto.
>
> Sorta - we do have an issue that other projects don't have, which
> is explicit or implicit statements about compatibility.  IOW,
> there's a legal issue here.  But lets park this for now as we don't
> have enough information, so we don't even know if we have a problem.
>
> So what do you think about the issue itself?  Do you want to see a
> certified distro w/ Tomcat?

I have a pragmatic view on this.  I would like to there to be a
certified Tomcat M5, but if it isn't going to happen anytime soon, I
personally would rather ship M5 and shoot for Tomcat certification in
M6.  Legally we can choose to ship uncertified non-GA release.  No
matter if a release is certified or not, the Geronimo project needs
to be crystal clear about the certification status of any binary we
distribute.

> I personally feel that having tomcat as a certified, first-class
> citizen is important and good for us.  The only question I see is
> what certifying w/ Tomcat does to our M5 timeline, and I don't
> think we have enough information to decide either way at this point.

Tomcat is a first-class citizen and is important to us.  If turns out
that we are unable to certify it in a reasonable time that would be
unfortunate, and we would have to decide how to deal with that.

> I'm hoping Jeff (or anyone else) can run the TCK on Tomcat to see
> where we are, and then decide from there.

+1

-dain