geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat, logging, admin portlet, and GBeans
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:56:08 GMT

Jeff Genender wrote:

> Tomcat uses a logging valve...so it's already GBeanized.  It can have
> multiple logs as there can be a valve set at the Engine, Host, and
> Context levels.
>
> To do this from a Gbean perspective, I would query for all of the
> ValveGBeans and call getInternalObject() on it.  Verify its an
> instance of org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve and then Query
> that object for its prefix and suffix properties.  This will give you
> the log file name (they live in the $GERONIMO_HOME/var/catalina/log
> directory).
>
> You also could create a Tomcat logging GBean to make this process a
> little easier, but it *must* extend the ValveGBean because since its
> essentially a valve, it needs to be in the chain of valve interceptors.

Thanks for the clarification.   I need to educate myself on logging
valves.  That wasn't obvious to me when looking at the plan for the
server (ie. I didn't notice a GBean for the logs).

> Would it not just be easier to query the
> $GERONIMO_HOME/var/catalina/log directory for files?

Yes, I thought of that too.   I was trying to stay within the general
design of the portlet as it stands.   I suppose the handling of the log
content could be fundamentally different in the portlet between jetty
and tomcat.

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."   -- Jim Elliot