geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: M5 List Closure - Time vs Features
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:28:39 GMT
On 31/08/2005 7:05 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> Ok, this is just an attempt to get people to voice their expectations
> about the release in general, not in regards to any feature or item
> in the release.
>
> 1)  If we could deliver M5 in _3__ weeks, I would consider that a
> complete success.
>
> 2)  I would not like M5 to take more than _4__ weeks.

M4 was released 4 weeks ago and I think that it should be great to have
a release every 7 weeks, in general. This may be broken-down into a
couple of days up-front to plan what people want in the new release
(JIRA allocation), 5 weeks to implement what has been planned and 1 week
to cut it (QA with TCK tests).

On 31/08/2005 9:24 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

>On 8/30/05, David Blevins <david.blevins@visi.com> wrote:
>

>>1)  If we could deliver M5 in _2__ weeks, I would consider that a
>>complete success.
>>
>>2)  I would not like M5 to take more than _3__ weeks.
>>

>I don't think that taking any longer than three weeks is necessary. We
>don't need to fit everything into M5. We can have an M6 and M7 if
>necessary. In fact, I'd rather see more drops with smaller
>additions/changes than less drops with larger additions/changes.
>
>Bruce

I think that everyone agree :).  Also, this raises related questions:
what should be the ideal duration of an iteration? does this duration
depends on the features? Or, is the duration fixed and the features,
which have been planned and not implemented, simply rescheduled?

Thanks,
Gianny