geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: User Configuration of ports, etc.
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:44:08 GMT

David Jencks wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2005, at 1:11 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>>     3.2 miles.
>>

>> A full 5K!

>>>     No.  You can do that in the console, but this file just lets you
>>> override certain attributes for GBeans that are already in the server.
>>> You'll notice in the sample there aren't full GBean definitions,
>>> only what
>>> amounts to attribute=value entries.
>>

>> Would anything stop you from doing that though?
>

> I would.  The idea here is to allow a few attributes to be customized
> locally even on a server with immutable configurations.  editing your
> configuration contents should use a different system.  Most attributes
> and all references will not be editable in this config db.

I think that we should keep the limitations of what you can and cannot
modify dynamically consistent then.  Aaron indicated above that you
could add attributes via the console but not the file.  Based on this
position we should not allow the attribute additions via the console either.

>>>     See above.

>>>     Yes.
>>

>> Boy howdy!  To the XML, or to the binary?
>

> to the xml.  I think this should replace re-saving the configuration
> binary for stable configurations.

A related question would be "Are value changes in the file reflected in
the running server if changed while the server is active?"    I know
it's not exactly the same thing ... but that's the way the log
configurations are handled.   I don't necessarily agree with that
approach but I think we should be consistent for the sake (sanity) of
the user.

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."   -- Jim Elliot