geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] Eclipse as a Geronimo sub-project
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:35:35 GMT
Actually the many of the ant scripts are automatically created for you
and shouldn't require any tweaking...

Here is a good eclipse article on the recommended way to set up a build
enviornment using the PDE builder.

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-PDE-Automation/automation.html

By using maven, we're just respecifying all the info thats contained in
the plugin.xml for a given plugin, plus all the other goals to be able
to package the plugin as a deployable feature.  So esentially more work
will go into building with Maven, then using PDE. So my big concern is
that we're wanting to use maven, just because everything else is using
maven.  If we're respecifying all these things, like dependences, new
goals, etc.... plus you still have to manually download Eclipse, WTP,
EMF and point to an Eclipse install to build, what is the advantage of
using Maven?  One of the big advantages is how maven can automatically
pull down dependencies, and this feature cannot be exploited.