geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject Re: Network Properties & Naming
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:18:59 GMT

Joe Bohn wrote:
> I agree with Jeremy.   One other aspect to consider is that technology
> is constantly changing.  If we settle on terminology today that isn't
> confusing for either tomcat or jetty that doesn't mean that it won't
> cause confusion for container X in the future.    We will never be able
> to pick terms that are generic for all time, all containers, all
> components.  I think attempting to come up with some common terminology
> will also be confusing to the user and will make it difficult to explain
> concepts that are similar or very different between containers.
> If we do end up with some common mapping, then I think we need to pick
> the most obvious terminology for the user.

Bingo.  Lets pick the appropriate term now.  Its 1 single term that is
in question here.  This should be a simple resolution and does not need
endless debate.  The Tomcat integration, in particular, the connector
has had many terms changed for Geronimo.  Only 1 causes confusion.  Why
is this an issue to change this one term?  It is explained more clearly
below why I think this need changing.

> Most users will consider
> "host" to be the IP host name and so I think we should use that term in
> general and cover the appropriate mapping to tomcat or jetty in
> documentation.

Sorry, but I think this is an opinionated statement without any merit.
It's a simple fact that the host is mapped to an ip address, not the
address itself.

Per Webopeodia: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/h/host.html

"A computer that is connected to a TCP/IP network, including the
Internet. Each host has a unique IP address."

Per The Telecom Glossary: http://www.atis.org/tg2k/_host_address.html it
states...

The definition of host is "A fully qualified domain name (usually
alphabetic) identifying the address of one specific host computer on the
Internet."

So I do not agree with your statement that 'Most users will consider
"host" to be the IP.'  You are also alienating those who use Tomcat that
their definition of a "host" coincides with your opinion, which again,
is simply incorrect.

>The user will have to coordinate settings between many
> different elements and using common terms will make that much easier
> than avoiding those terms because they bring specific meaning to some
> particular component.

Geronimo is a conglomeration of different technologies.  I see no
problem with trying our best to carry out the best in naming conventions
and not cross define/name terms.  Now is the time to use best-practice
naming conventions.  Again, I do not see why this is a problem,
especially at a point that its feasible to change.  I must point out
that "host" is what is in question...and this will be terribly confusing
with how a Host is utilized in a Tomcat configuration.  We need to be
sensitive to this for those users coming to use Geronimo from Tomcat.
This may help clarify...

o.a.t.Host - The Host object...the attribute "name" is the DNS resolved
name of the host.

o.a.t.Engine - contains a defaultHost paramater that is mandatory.  The
defaultHost *must* match a DNS Host named object.

o.a.t.Connector - has a parameter named "address".  This is mapped to
the physical or logical *IP ADDRESS* to which to listen on for handling
requests.  It is not a host.

Geronimo connector wants to use "host" for the address.  Understand that
the connectors are configured in the j2ee-server-plan.xml file (or
tomcat-conig.xml in the source code).  Understand the confusion this
will cause when Tomcat is using the word "host" or a subset of the word
"host" in its configuration, and the the connector definition of a host
is completely different.

Why is this an issue that we cannot use a generic term such as "address"
or "inetaddress" or anything else that does not use the term "host"?
Understand the implication of this.