geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] Eclipse as a Geronimo sub-project
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:59:47 GMT
As far as what users want, let me make a generic statement.  The server
tooling area is already an established area, especially in commercial
tools such as WebSphere Application Toolkit and Rational Application
Developer.  Now IBM, BEA, and many other participants are actively
involved  in the WTP effort in which the goal is to provide tooling
support for J2EE and other application servers that not only provides a
strong set of J2EE functionality but is also a completely extendable
framework.  We need to avoid two parallel efforts here in our tooling
support for Geronimo but rather build and leverage these frameworks and
projects that have been accepted and established already in the open
source community, and use this as our starting blueprint. If and when
this is an Apache subproject, its critical that the Eclipse and Apache
communities communicate and work together.  So my opinion is that we
don't need to be re-inventing the wheel here, but keep our roadmap and
requirements focused on providing the Geronimo specific pieces that
integrate nicely with WTP.  So what the community wants for J2EE and
server tooling is constantly being discussed in the Eclipse community,
we just need to start getting involved in those discussions and bring
forth feature requests to them.

Sachin.