geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Network Properties & Naming
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:57:01 GMT
I agree with Jeremy.   One other aspect to consider is that technology
is constantly changing.  If we settle on terminology today that isn't
confusing for either tomcat or jetty that doesn't mean that it won't
cause confusion for container X in the future.    We will never be able
to pick terms that are generic for all time, all containers, all
components.  I think attempting to come up with some common terminology
will also be confusing to the user and will make it difficult to explain
concepts that are similar or very different between containers.

If we do end up with some common mapping, then I think we need to pick
the most obvious terminology for the user.  Most users will consider
"host" to be the IP host name and so I think we should use that term in
general and cover the appropriate mapping to tomcat or jetty in
documentation.  The user will have to coordinate settings between many
different elements and using common terms will make that much easier
than avoiding those terms because they bring specific meaning to some
particular component.

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."   -- Jim Elliot