geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Network Properties & Naming
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:51:29 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	I disagree -- I think it's important to have a common management
> interface (currently, for example, NetworkConnector), and having the same
> properties called something different in every networkable GBean totally
> defeats that.

I agree a common management interface is desirable. Unfortunately the
containers we are integrating appear to have little in common. From what
I hear Jeff saying, apparently simple concepts like "host" differ.

What this means is that we will need substantial extensions to the
"common" interface to deal with these container specific concepts; the
lowest common denominator is proving to be too low.

This does mean more work for us: alternative deployment infrastructure,
alternative management APIs, multiple management portlets, and so on.
However, it provides a simple and more intuitive interface for the user
so should be done.

--
Jeremy