geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Should we have our own socket listeners?
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:44:40 GMT
Aaron's recent thread on SSL has made we wonder if we should consider
providing our own socket listeners for HTTP(S) and other protocols
rather than using the ones supplied by the containers we are embedding.

Reasons for doing it include:
* ability to integrate with custom work managers (thread pools) and
   SSL infrastructure
* consistency across all embedded containers
* potential for multi-protocol support on one end-point
   (i.e. multiplexing everything over one port like WebLogic does which
   can make life easier when firewalls are involved)
* potential for integrating with custom QoS frameworks e.g. allowing
   custom negotiation with load-balancers in a clustered environment
* potential for hi-av version upgrades where we can version in a
   upgraded component and hand off the physical socket resulting in
   no loss of availability

Note that none of those features are HTTP specific.

The downside of course is that it may weaken integration between the
listener and the container being embedded; for some containers they may
be so closely coupled that doing this will actually make things
difficult. For example, I think doing this would be fairly easy for
Jetty, I don't know how easy it would be for Tomcat, OpenEJB, JMX,
ActiveMQ etc.

--
Jeremy