geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Proxies based on class not interface
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:20:49 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2005, at 2:22 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>

>> On Aug 11, 2005, at 2:32 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>>

>>>     Right now, if you want a proxy to a ServerInfo (which is a class
>>> which implements no interfaces), the kernel's ProxyManager will
>>> give one
>>> to you.  To do that, it creates a subclass of ServerInfo and
>>> overrides the
>>> methods it can.
>>>
>>>     It seems like it might be preferable if we only created proxies
>>> based on interfaces.  This would be a long-term goal, as we'd have to
>>> provide interrfaces for all the classes that need them (such as
>>> ServerInfo) and change our references (which use proxies) to be
>>> based on
>>> interface instead of class.  It seems that we're also creating some
>>> proxies where the class to proxy is java.lang.Object (don't ask
>>> me!), and
>>> we have to hunt that stuff down.
>>>

>> Those are mostly there to force a particular startup/dependency order.
>>

>>>     Nevertheless, I'm wondering what other people think *in  principle*
>>> of removing support for proxies based on class, some day when it
>>> becomes
>>> possible.
>>>

>> What is the advantage?
>

> I personally would like to see support for creating a class based
> proxy be removed.  It just encourages bad (lazy) programming.
>
>> We aren't going to be able to convince the cglib guys to remove
>> support for proxying classes.
>

> We don't need or want them to remove it.  We can simply turn off this
> feature in our proxy factory.
>
> -dain

The Spring integration already gets around this by generating a new
interface that is the sum of all methods on a POJO's class, then
instantiating a proxy of this and wrapping the POJO with it. The proxy
is then plugged into the kernel (my memory may be a bit rusty on this -
but the point stands)

So,

1) removing the ability to proxy anything that is not interfaced-based
from the kernel, will not prevent people from doing so, just make it
more awkward.

2) there may be a valid reason for wanting to do so.

Of course, a decent Spring/POJO/kernel integration would render this
unnecessary :-)

Jules

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell