geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java Service Wrapper for startup scripts
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:01:28 GMT

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> Thanks Bruce and John.
>>
>> I would like to hear from more people on this as well as from David
>> Jencks and Dain too.
>>
>> Bruce Snyder wrote:

>>> After thinking further about this, I now agree with what Jeff
>>> suggested and what you say above, John. I think we should simply
>>> develop a set of generic shell scripts and init scripts and nothing
>>> more (beyond a Windoze service, that is). We also need to encourage
>>> users to contribute their customizations to these scripts for
>>> additional platforms.
>>

> On a related topic, I've been experimenting with native libraries to
> extract information on a per request basis like CPU time.  For most
> platforms I should be able to get User / Kernel time for a request (I've
> been experimenting on Linux).  As we look at the potential platforms
> that can be supported the binary issue has been nagging at me as I'm not
> sure how to support that.  One part of me says that we should provide a
> binary for a given platform (as donated by folks) as well as source for
> those that may be ahead of the game / want to experiment and tweak
> further.  I don't have the answers but I think as Geronimo matures this
> will be an issue that we'll have to deal with.  In theory Java should be
> portable but portability is an illusion that we need to archive by
> taking on the responsibility by making moving around easy.

I don't necessarily agree here.  In the instance of this thread, we are
talking about start/stop daemons, which easily can be done outside of
the binary world (except for Windows).  I don't see the binary as a
critical path, and it is more of a restriction to what platforms will
ultimately use our product w/o our potential intervention.  IMHO, lets
let Sun (or other JVM vendor) deal with the binary issues, and we deal
with getting our stuff to run in a cross-platform perspective (i.e. Java
only).

If we have a critical path (a function Geronimo absolutely cannot live
without), then I would be willing to acquiesce on this point.

--
Jeff Genender
http://geronimo.apache.org