geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Java Service Wrapper for startup scripts
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:43:49 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

> Thanks Bruce and John.
>
> I would like to hear from more people on this as well as from David
> Jencks and Dain too.
>
> Bruce Snyder wrote:
>
>> On 8/10/05, sissonj@insession.com <sissonj@insession.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I noticed that Tomcat 5.5 uses the commons-daemon project and for
>>> non-Windows platforms the source (included with the Tomcat binaries)
>>> must be
>>> compiled.
>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html
>>>
>>> Maybe we could follow Tomcat's approach of not providing the
>>> binaries for
>>> all platforms and leaving it up to the end user.  It is not as
>>> though they
>>> can't start Geronimo without them, since the shell scripts should
>>> always be
>>> available.
>>

>> After thinking further about this, I now agree with what Jeff
>> suggested and what you say above, John. I think we should simply
>> develop a set of generic shell scripts and init scripts and nothing
>> more (beyond a Windoze service, that is). We also need to encourage
>> users to contribute their customizations to these scripts for
>> additional platforms.

On a related topic, I've been experimenting with native libraries to
extract information on a per request basis like CPU time.  For most
platforms I should be able to get User / Kernel time for a request (I've
been experimenting on Linux).  As we look at the potential platforms
that can be supported the binary issue has been nagging at me as I'm not
sure how to support that.  One part of me says that we should provide a
binary for a given platform (as donated by folks) as well as source for
those that may be ahead of the game / want to experiment and tweak
further.  I don't have the answers but I think as Geronimo matures this
will be an issue that we'll have to deal with.  In theory Java should be
portable but portability is an illusion that we need to archive by
taking on the responsibility by making moving around easy.

>>> Is anyone familiar with the pros and cons of commons-daemon over Java
>>> Service Wrapper and why the Tomcat project chose to use commons-daemon?

Not yet.