geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject Java Service Wrapper for startup scripts
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:50:40 GMT
A discussion came up about using Java Service Wrapper accross the board
for all of our starting and stopping needs wihtin Geronimo.

I was looking at the Java Service Wrapper and I think it would be great
to use for an NT service for Windows boxes for our startup and shutdown.

But outside of Windows we need to discuss some issues.

Apparently there are some native JNI and libraries that are required for
each platform.  As of today the following platforms currently are
supported by Java Service Wrapper and have binaries for :

aix - AIX
freebsd - FreeBSD
hpux, hpux64 - HP-UX, 32 and 64-bit versions.
irix - SGI Irix
linux - Linux kernels; 2.2.x 2.4.x, 2.6.x. Known to work with Debian and
Red Hat, but should work with any distribution.
macosx - Macintosh OS X.
osf1 - DEC OSF1.
solaris - Sun OS, Solaris 7, 8.
win32 - Windows NT, 2000, XP, and 2003.

If we go down the binary route (other than Windows), we, as Geronimo,
will be forced to compile and support additional binaries that are
beyond the above list.

IMHO, I believe we are better off writing shell scripts which, for the
most part, are platform independent (except for Windows), so that we
only need to support Java and generic shell.

For Windows, we can provide both bat scripts as well as a Java Service
Wrapper implementation *for that platform only*, so that people have the
ability to run Geronimo as an NT service or command line.

I am a little concerned with getting into the binary business, as this
could eventually limit what platforms Geronimo runs on, and we may end
up with a nasty headache having to support these binaries.  So I would
recommend we not use Java Service Wrapper beyond Windows.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Jeff