geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject Issue - configuring the binary distribution
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:15:45 GMT
Hi,

I want to open up a discussion for binary distribution.

Currently we are not packaging the plans in the binary distribution.
This will likely cause some issues with the users as it will be
inevitable that the configurations will need changing.  Examples will be
SSL certificates (i.e. keyfiles)...to have an AJP connector or
not...have a Realm that covers the entire server, or even Virtual Hosts.
   These are all typically server level configurations and much less at
an application specific level. I would say most users who want to use
Geronimo in production *will* be having a need to change the
configuration, and I think rebuilding from source is not acceptable.

We need to make the ability to alter these objects and easily change the
config without the need to download the entire source base.

I think this is a critical path issue that we need to address before a
1.0 release as it will cause huge complaints IMHO.

My .02...I think that packaging the plans with the assembly (and maybe a
maven script or other to easily enable a redeployment (cli?)) is a short
term solution and something we need to come to terms with, but we should
also discuss our long term goals around this.

Comments?

Jeff