geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Web schemas -- one or many?
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:51:30 GMT
well, I am not that familiar with what people with large server farms
actually do :-)  I was thinking of something like an ISP offering
geronimo hosting: you rent space and a geronimo instance on a box, but
the deployment has to happen on a centralized deployment box.  Either
there is one centralized repo/box or the repo is over the network, so
all server parts are available on all servers.  In a couple of years,
when we have 10 web containers and 5 ejb containers and 3 jca
containers you will not want to set up the 150 deployment servers
needed for all combinations.  Here, clearly you would want the
deployment plan to determine what you end up with, rather than the
particular deployer configuration that happens to be available at the
moment.

In particular I'm thinking the same app would not be deployed on both
jetty and tomcat very often.

thanks
david jencks