geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: User Configuration of ports, etc.
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:56:22 GMT

On Aug 24, 2005, at 1:44 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:

>>> A full 5K!

>>> Would anything stop you from doing that though?
>>

>> I would.  The idea here is to allow a few attributes to be customized
>> locally even on a server with immutable configurations.  editing your
>> configuration contents should use a different system.  Most
>> attributes and all references will not be editable in this config db.
>
> I think that we should keep the limitations of what you can and cannot
> modify dynamically consistent then.  Aaron indicated above that you
> could add attributes via the console but not the file.  Based on this
> position we should not allow the attribute additions via the console
> either.

Well, my position is that you should normally modify the plan to
add/remove gbeans or change references.  However, Aaron and I think
others want there to be a mode for some mutable, "Snapshot"
configurations where you can edit anything in the configuration while
running.  I don't think the existence of this "interactive development"
mode should affect the functionality of the config database intended
for production use.  In other words, I disagree :-)

>>> Boy howdy!  To the XML, or to the binary?
>>

>> to the xml.  I think this should replace re-saving the configuration
>> binary for stable configurations.
>
> A related question would be "Are value changes in the file reflected
> in the running server if changed while the server is active?"    I
> know it's not exactly the same thing ... but that's the way the log
> configurations are handled.   I don't necessarily agree with that
> approach but I think we should be consistent for the sake (sanity) of
> the user.

I suggest we handle this by filing an enhancement request to find a
different way of updating log configurations other than changing the
file they are in.  I don't think we want to get into the headache of
trying to notice external db changes and importing them.

thanks
david jencks