geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Genender" <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject RE: Network Properties & Naming
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:09:57 GMT

More to add here.  "Host" is a misnomer for the connectors in Tomcat.  They
will not accept a "host"...it must be an ip address.  So I think "adress" is
most approppriate.

Jeff

________________________________

	No, I seriously doubt that a network admin could not figure out what
inetaddress meant, or even address for that fact.  I also think its not
smart to go renaming Tomcat concepts...just because.  I don't view this as
the Tomcat plans as being misleading, they are using the Tomcat terms and
concepts (and objects).  The last thing I want to do is go renaming Tomcat
objects...that makes little sense.

	I am simply asking that we use a term that is not as ambiguous.  In
Tomcat land, they use the word "address" on the Connectors.  Host is
referenced throughout the plans and refers to a Host Tomcat object and a
Host GBean.

	And...at this point, this should not impact existing users...this is
more of an issue with the management API going in for the console.  I would
think the impact is quite minimal at this stage in the game.  Thats also not
to say that we cannot use the word "host" unofficially (undocumented) and
allow the word "address" as the official version...thus having no impact on
current users.

	This is really simple folks, this does not need a huge decision and
long thread. (hint-hint).  At worst case, we can use "host" as the
attribute.  Its easy to change the connectors now...but if we wait, we will
be stuck.  Lets just be pragmatic about this.

	Jeff