geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Genender" <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject RE: Network Properties & Naming
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:03:02 GMT
No, I seriously doubt that a network admin could not figure out what
inetaddress meant, or even address for that fact.  I also think its not
smart to go renaming Tomcat concepts...just because.  I don't view this as
the Tomcat plans as being misleading, they are using the Tomcat terms and
concepts (and objects).  The last thing I want to do is go renaming Tomcat
objects...that makes little sense.

I am simply asking that we use a term that is not as ambiguous.  In Tomcat
land, they use the word "address" on the Connectors.  Host is referenced
throughout the plans and refers to a Host Tomcat object and a Host GBean.

And...at this point, this should not impact existing users...this is more of
an issue with the management API going in for the console.  I would think
the impact is quite minimal at this stage in the game.  Thats also not to
say that we cannot use the word "host" unofficially (undocumented) and allow
the word "address" as the official version...thus having no impact on
current users.

This is really simple folks, this does not need a huge decision and long
thread. (hint-hint).  At worst case, we can use "host" as the attribute.
Its easy to change the connectors now...but if we wait, we will be stuck.
Lets just be pragmatic about this.

Jeff

  _____