geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wong <ma...@osdl.org>
Subject Re: tpc-app workload
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:36:15 GMT
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:37:13 -0400
Matt Hogstrom <matt@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> Mark Wong wrote:
>
> >Hi Matt,
> >
> >I took a quick look at the tradeTech.pdf in the zip file.  When you say
> >'internal processes', are you talking about with IBM and Oracle?  I ask
> >that because it appears to depend on DB2 or Oracle, and LoadRunner or
> >Workload Simulator.
> >

> The application is not dependent really on any specific database so it
> could use any database that uses SQL-92 syntax and has a JDBC driver.
> It is written as a J2EE application that is portable across multiple
> DBMSs as well as Application Servers.
>
> In terms of driving the workload one can also use jMeter as a driver or
> a simple URL generator and use the built-in TradeScenarioServlet which
> does the randomization within a set of constraints to get a consistent
> workload.

That's good, I was afraid you might hit too many roadblocks but it
sounds like you have it covered.

> >I'm looking to implement a fair-use implementation of the TPC-App with
> >J2EE to use PostgreSQL, initially, for the database.  I've have done
> >similar things at the OSDL with the TPC-C and TPC-H for PostgreSQL,
> >which are completely database centric, for performance testing.  I've
> >gotten some outside contributions to port to MySQL and SAP DB/MAX DB
> >too.  I do think the TPC-App is more interesting than Trade but the same
> >time more complicated.  We also have some hardware at OSDL that we may
> >be able to use to scale up a test.
> >

> I'm planning on continuing down the Trade path for now because its
> already J2EE and pretty much done except for the "internal" work to make
> it happen.  In the interim I'll take a look at TPC-App to get a better
> understanding of it.  How does it compare to TPC-W?

TPC-App is to be the be the successor to TPC-W.  It's supposed to be
easier to implement than the TPC-W, focus on the application server as
opposed to the database, and address other issues with the previous
spec.  I think one of the biggest complaints was that TPC-W was flawed
with respect to being able to (web) cache too much of the data.