geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: User Configuration of ports, etc.
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:23:38 GMT

On Aug 24, 2005, at 1:11 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2005, at 4:21 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> How far does this go?
>>>

>>     3.2 miles.
>
> A full 5K!
>

>>> Could I add things rather than override?
>>>

>>     No.  You can do that in the console, but this file just lets you
>> override certain attributes for GBeans that are already in the server.
>> You'll notice in the sample there aren't full GBean definitions, only
>> what
>> amounts to attribute=value entries.
>
> Would anything stop you from doing that though?

I would.  The idea here is to allow a few attributes to be customized
locally even on a server with immutable configurations.  editing your
configuration contents should use a different system.  Most attributes
and all references will not be editable in this config db.

>>> Could I add GBeans?
>>>

>>     See above.
>>

>>> If changed dynamically after startup, are the new values written out
>>> at
>>> shutdown?
>>>

>>     Yes.
>
> Boy howdy!  To the XML, or to the binary?

to the xml.  I think this should replace re-saving the configuration
binary for stable configurations.

david jencks