After a quick look.. Geronimo's Daemon class is still calling ToolsJarHack.install().

Jasper2 (the JSP handling component) which is part of Tomcat as of version 5.5.0 bundles the eclipse JDT to allow tomcat to run on a JRE, according to http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jasper-howto.html

The Jetty doco also says Jasper2 is used by Jetty:  http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/readme.txt

So it appears that the ToolsJarHack isn't needed, but has anyone tested both Tomcat and Jetty without tools.jar?

John

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary or non-public information.  This information is intended solely for the designated recipient(s).  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.  Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon this information by unintended recipients is prohibited.  Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author personally.