geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: xmlbeans usage in Geronimo -- upgrading to xbeans 2.0?
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:08:02 GMT
I've been attempting to maintain a port to xmlbeans 2 for about 6
months and have been getting very tired of objections to installing it.
  I'm now afraid that this has resulted in xmlbeans 2 being released
with some bugs that will make using it difficult.

Some problems have crept in in my latest update, and I haven't been
able to figure out how to solve them.  The symptoms I see are that I
get different binary xsb files generated depending on whether I build
one module at a time or all at once with a multiproject build.
Depending on which generated classes I get classes from imported
namespaces work, or don't.

I'm not sure how to proceed.  I could post a patch to a jira issue, or
create a geronimo branch.  However there are openejb changes as well,
and dealing with a cvs branch seems awfully painful.

The inclusion of xmlbeans in the root classloader should be
unnecessary.  IIRC it was needed because we didnt' have a single
version of the QName class: now that we do it should no longer be
necessary.

The intention is that xmlbeans and xmlbeans generated classes should
only be used in  the builders, and not needed in the runtime system.
If this is no longer the case, we have some work to do:-)  If we can
maintain this separation there should be no problem in using any
version of xmlbeans in an application, since the builder classloaders
using xmlbeans and the application classloaders using xmlbeans would be
unrelated.

If you want to help sort this out, your work would be extremely welcome.

thanks
david jencks