geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject ObjectName, j2eeType, and GBeans
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:24:03 GMT
	So as I'm working on this management interface, I'd like a way to
identify "all the things that implement X".  Such as, for logging, the
log configuration GBean, or for web containers, the web container GBean.
In other areas, the way we've done this is to operate off the j2eeType --
so if you're looking for a security realm, you look for a j2eeType of
NameFactory.SECURITY_REALM, and so on.  This only really works if the
GBean declares a j2eeType in its GBeanInfoBuilder, os otherwise it
generally ends up with the generic j2eeType of "GBean", and I don't want
to rely in a specific component name.

	So, to get to my point, does anyone object to expanding the use of
j2eeType outside of proper JSR-77 types?  We've already done it for
security realms (asa I alluded to above) and others, just want to make
sure no one feels that's a bad policy.

	An alternative might be for the kernel to remember which GBeans
implement which interfaces, and then I could search by interface.  Or that
could be done outside the kernel by indexing all GBeans and adding a GBean
load/unload listener, though that seems a little weird for what would be a
pretty core GBean identification feature.  These alternatives could have
the advantage that we're not abusing the "j2eeType" property with values
outside those explicitly listed in the JSR-77 spec, particularly for
objects that don't implement J2EEManagedObject.

Thanks,
	Aaron