geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Disagreements regarding inclusion of Tomcat/Jetty Picker in M4 QA branch
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:07:45 GMT
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> 3. Maybe I understand this wrong, but isn't it possible to offer two M4
> binary versions (one with Jetty perconfigured, and one with Tomcat)? The
> new feature in M5 will then be that the user decides during installation
> (izpack) which config he wants, so we don't need two binary versions
> anymore... Maybe I got this wrongly, but if I got this right then I
> don't understand this discussion :-).

	It is possible for someone to get it working through "superhuman
effort".  However, I don't think it's reasonable to require that anyone
who's working on testing the Tomcat build of M4 or packaging an M4 release
should go through that.  Also, any two people who did will undoubtedly end
up with different results.  Therefore, I don't think we should include a
Tomcat version of M4 based on the purely manual process.

	IMHO, the biggest advantage to the change in HEAD is not that the
installer gives you more options, but that any developer can build Tomcat
with a simple command-line flag, which make it quite easy to work with and
test.

Aaron