geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject GBean Granularity
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:53:54 GMT
	I was just poking around the Tomcat GBeans a little trying to get
the broken test to work, and there seems to be a moderately complex
structure there.  I'm not sure to what extent this is truly dynamic.  I
mean, will you really want to fully customize the container, engine,
hosts, connectors, valves, and so on?

	What's the feeling on making a coarser GBean that takes a lot of
configuration settings and then instantiates all the more detailed GBeans?
I mean, we might be able to get by with a master Tomcat GBean with set of
more manageable configuration information like (ignoring the format):

tomcat.hosts=localhost,my-host-name
tomcat.http.enabled=true
tomcat.http.port=8080
tomcat.https.enabled=true
tomcat.https.port=8443
tomcat.ajp.enabled=false

	We not be able to fully eliminate valve chain GBeans and stuff,
but it would be nicer if we had some more "deployer-like" code to set up
the finicky bits based on a simpler set of configuration data.

	No urgency, I'm just wondering if there's a strong feeling in
favor of very fine-grained GBean configuration in our plans.  It's
certainly more flexible, but as the test goes to show, more fragile too.

Aaron