geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <>
Subject Re: Is it a mountain? (Re: Donation of Admin Console- request for help)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:21:19 GMT
	I'm sorry, I don't agree that donating code should entitle a
company to nominate committers.  Even separating the issue of donating
code, I don't like adding committers when we don't know them, aren't
familiar with their work, etc.  I think it will be hard to convince me
otherwise, but I am known to be conservative in this regard.  :)

	Given the above, I prefer the incubator because we can all get to
know each other there, the people who know the code can have immediate
commit on the code (as can interested Geronimo folks), we can start
working and evaluate the donation before deciding where it belongs
long-term, etc.  It would be slightly more difficult to integrate with
Geronimo for testing purposes, but we face similar issues with OpenEJB and
TranQL already.  On this, I am willing to be convinced that some kind of
Geronimo sub-area is best, but I think the incubator is better as a
general rule.

	As for why we need general rules, I don't fancy having this
extended dialogue every time there's a donation on the table.  I used to
think we wouldn't have that many donations, but after 2 in the last month,
I'm not so sure.

	And, of course, I support David J's statement of mentoring
principles and so on.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> +1 to accept both the console and trifork code. Let Geir worry about
> paperwork. (Ask for a software grant from both companies such that we
> can place the code in our SVN.)
> +1 to accept new folks from these contrib as "regular" committers (we
> can have a public vote once we get list of people from these 2
> companies)
> Why is this so difficult?
> -- dims
> On 7/12/05, Bruce Snyder <> wrote:
> > After rereading this entire discussion, I'm still not sure that we've
> > provided the requested guidance to the original reqeust that started
> > this thread. What's more, given the debate that has taken place, I'm
> > not sure that there's a consensus in any one direction. So I've got a
> > couple of questions:
> >
> > 1) Is this the same management console that I downloaded from Gluecode
> > as the Joe evaluation licensed product?
> >
> > 2) Will the management console come straight to Geronimo or go through
> > the Incubator?
> >
> > One additional suggestion on the table seemed to surround the
> > establishment of policies surrounding code donation. I'm not clear on
> > why some people feel that policies need to be established. Why are
> > people so hung up on establishing policies for so many things? IMO,
> > rules for rules sake is just silly. I think we need to test the waters
> > with some code donations before we go so far as to establish policies
> > and precedents. Let's please crawl before we walk.
> >
> > Bruce
> > --
> > perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"
> > );'