geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Aaron Mulder <>
Subject Re: Donation of Admin Console- request for help
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:03:02 GMT
> 1) We must decide on where we bring the software and how we handle  
> interested contributors :
>    a) Bring to Apache Geronimo SVN (w/ or w/o separate ACL) and
>        i) Grant committer status to any offered individuals that wish  
> to continue working on the respective contribution
>        ii) Ask that work continues via submitted patches for some  
> period of time
>    b) Bring to the Apache Incubator and work with the code and people  
> there

	I would like to look at the code before deciding whether and how
to incorporate either of these donations into Geronimo "for real".  But my 
preference on the implementation of that would be to set up some temporary 
space in the project SVN, put the code there, let people fuss with it, and 
then (if all goes well) when it's massaged into shape vote to fold it into 
the SVN tree proper (though I'm not yet sure whether it should be part of 
the current "geronimo" tree or in a "related projects" / "sub project" 
area -- that probably depends to some extent on the code and how 
entangled it is).

	So, in order to move forward, I would prefer:

 - set up a separate area of SVN for donations (currently 2 on the table)
 - pick one of:
   - add separate ACL for each donation in there
   - have people from contributing company operate via patches

	I would personally lean slightly toward patches, though I 
anticipate the donators may prefer ACLs.  In any case, if and when the 
code becomes part of Geronimo proper, I think the donators will need to 
qualify for Geronimo commit status as normal.


On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> >     I'm excited to see this.
> >
> >     I believe the question is essentially the same as the question
> > around the TriFork CORBA donation.  I'm not sure where that discussion
> > stands -- last time I checked in we were debating the meaning of
> > "subproject".  Guess we better wrap that up!
> Or decide that it's irrelevant wrt the TriFork and now IBM donations,  
> as it's just internal structuring of our code and release processes/ 
> cycles :)  We can solve in parallel, because I don't see the proposed  
> trifork roadmap or the IBM contribution resulting in codebases of  
> independent release cycle in the near future.  In each case, I think  
> we all agree that we'd want to integrate into our community and  
> general codebase.
> >
> >     I know there is also a certain amount of paperwork to be filed,
> > etc. -- perhaps Geir can outline the steps there?
> Yes.  There will be a CCLA, which has a software grant as part of it  
> for IBM to make the contribution, and ICLAs for any IBM employees  
> that wish to contribute (they'd need it for committership, so there's  
> no harm getting it done early... as a matter of fact, we should ask  
> this of any regular contributor the project)
> 0) We must vote to either accept or reject this contribution
>    - we may or may not require to see the code, under a satisfactory  
> license, before voting
> I ask that all committers discuss so we can bring to a vote for both  
> the IBM contribution and the TriFork contribution.
> Thanks
> geir
> >
> > Aaron
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, David Klavon wrote:
> >
> >> One of the components that IBM acquired with the purchase of the
> >> Gluecode company was the portlet based administrative console.  We  
> >> are
> >> in the final stages of obtaining the legal clearance to donate this
> >> component to the Geronimo project and we wanted to give everyone a
> >> heads up about this offering and to solicit feedback on the best
> >> approach to bring this component into Geronimo.  Can someone please
> >> provide guidance with the correct procedure to make the code  
> >> available
> >> to Geronimo?  We are anticipating final legal clearance for
> >> contribution this week so I wanted to provide the heads up now and
> >> make sure that all barriers to contribution were out of the way so
> >> once its cleared we can make it available as quickly as possible to
> >> the community.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help and guidance.
> >> Dave
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> -- 
> Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

View raw message