geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:47:53 GMT
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> How do I get progress bar *and* log level DEBUG?

	That doesn't make sense to me -- the DEBUG output would mangle the
progress bar by inserting output between every time the progress bar tries
to repaint its progress line.  Besides resulting in tons of separate
progress lines, since the progress bar doesn't emit carriage returns while
rendering, I think the first debug message after a repaint is appended to
the end of the progress line instead of starting a line of its own.
Finally, the status information provided by the progress bar is more or
less duplicated by log messages announcing as each component is started.

	If we were willing and able to eliminate all DEBUG and INFO output
from the server startup sequence, we could keep the progress and still get
the DEBUG or INFO messages after startup.  However, I think that's
unlikely.  For example, I got ActiveMQ to agree not to emit a WARN message
if the necessary JMS tables are already available at startup, but it
didn't sound like they were prepared to forego that message entirely.

Aaron