geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: New Startup Output
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 05:05:14 GMT
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Jeff Genender wrote:
> I love this new status bar...its really clean...but I would like the
> option to spew the logs to the terminal.
>
> I would like to get people's feelings on this since there are 2 sides
> having this option.

I like the idea of a -verbose parameter.  But the best way I can think of
to implement it is to have the startup class fiddle the log settings (by
choosing to start "log configuration a" or "log configuration b", or by
directly prodding the log GBean, or whatever).

If I can restate a couple IRC points:

 * David J seemed to be concerned about that approach (tighter coupling
   between start class and logging, though the startup class needs to
   initialize the logging system, so there's some coupling already).

 * Jeremy suggested making the progress bar writer a separate process,
   that launches the server, reads its standard output, parses that for
   the information in needs to generate the progress bar, and then either
   prints or suppresses the server process output as desired.  I thought
   about that, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but it
   seems pretty complex.

I'm going to think about whether there's some way to manage the log
settings in a way that won't increase the coupling.  Perhaps the log GBean
can "check in" during startup and see if there's a global override which
it could then enforce on itself.  It would certainly be nice if the
pre-load-log-GBean log level and the post-load-log-GBean log level were
the same (instead of one depending on code and the other on a config file,
as it is now).  But I'd also like to hear any other opinions.

Aaron