geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: New Startup Output
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 04:52:24 GMT
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, David Blevins wrote:
> >   1.  Add the Geronimo version at the top too.  As in:
> >          "Starting Geronimo Application Server (1.0-234656)"
>
> 	How do you suggest getting the version number into the message?
> I don't know of a way to make SVN put an always-up-to-date version tag in
> a file (only one that's only updated when the file is changed).

	Upon reflection, while it's kind of dirty, I think we can snarf
the current version from the .svn/entries file (locate the <entry
name="" ...> and steal the value of its "revision" attribute).

	What I don't know is how to get that some place relevant.  The
system module might have been built a while ago (certainly for developer
builds as opposed to formal releases, and I don't want it to be incorrect
for dev builds), so I think we'd want to get the revision during the
assembly build.  I suppose we could shove it in a JAR and then put that
JAR on the server CLASSPATH, but that's pretty lame.

	Hmm...  Maybe we can add something so every Geronimo module puts
its SVN revision into its Manifest file.  Then we can inspect the
Manifests at runtime.  That sounds more promising.  I guess we could have
a Maven plugin for that?  I know that Maven puts stuff into the Manifest,
and if we can hook into that, we'd be fine.  I have no idea how achievable
that is.

Aaron