geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Unified Tomcat/Jetty Plans
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 03:17:57 GMT
Jeremy,
	No need to exaggerate.  You can take a friendly tone and still
make your point.  No one's saying that altering configuration formats is a
"good" thing, just that it will steadily get "worse" the more stable the
server gets.  And note that an "unstable" release is exactly that -- we
need a well-documented Milestone 4 release to direct new users to.  In the
mean time, I'm trying to set up a weekly build environment here, so
hopefully I'll put up a fresh "unstable" release from that tomorrow.

	Finally, as for the extra mile, I have no idea how to get
XMLBeans to accept an XML file that could contain one of two namespaces,
but is otherwise identical in content (to handle old Jetty files).  Any
constructive tips?

	I suppose for Tomcat we could implement a schema converter that
would turn the Tomcat-specific elements into container-config elements,
but this seems like a lot of work.  If we get a lot of feedbcak from
confused Tomcat users I'll be happy to look into if further.

Aaron

P.S. To address Dain's comment, I think he'd agree we need to call a
moratorium on config changes once we reach a certain level of pre-1.0
stability -- perhaps RC builds or whatever.