geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Questions about CORBA
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:37:19 GMT
	I'm not sure there's a list of problems we had with OpenORB,
though you might poke around the dev list archives.  I haven't really been
involved in the CORBA work, but I've heard several people who were
involved say that OpenORB has issues, and other open source ORBs that
might be candidates don't have Apache-style licenses.  I don't think we're
thrilled with the prospect of coding directly to the JVM ORB, but it got
us over the TCK hump, so it was certainly expedient.

	As far as I know, we're certainly willing to look at alternatives
at this point.  But to go back to your question, someone else may need to
address the specific problems that were encountered in the past.

	To Rick and Alan, there's an option 4, Implement Our Own ORB.  I
don't think we're super-excited to start a project of that magnitude from
scratch (we do tend to favor the whole "incorporate best of breed project"
approach!), but I imagine it would be at least be considered if nothing
else worked out.

Aaron