geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Invoking the deploy tool under a security manager and startup scripts
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:13:12 GMT
Resending this question as it was hidden in thread 'Re: Startup Scripts
discussion ( GERONIMO-693 )'

Should we be invoking the deploy tool in startup scripts with the
following (taken from GERONIMO-502)?

java -Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy=var/security/deployer.policy  -jar bin/deployer.jar
<standard> switches and parameters

If so, it appears that we would then want the izpack installation to
substitute the port numbers the user enters in the installer panels into
var/security/deployer.policy for ease of installation. Not sure if we need
to make changes to izpack (see link below) to support variable
substitution in policy files (AFAIK, policy files are supposed to be in
UTF8 encoding scheme, so the izpack VariableSubstitutor class may need to
be enhanced to have a TYPE_JAVA_POLICY that defaults to UTF8 encoding.

http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/izpack/izpack-src/src/lib/com/izforge/izpack/util/VariableSubstitutor.java?rev=1.4&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

If not, why? Should we have a command line switch that turns the security
manager on/off?

Thanks,

John