geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: Project Dependencies: TranQL & maybe someday GBean.org
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 01:19:52 GMT
I was just thinking about the issues of external project dependencies in
general.. Should there be a process for evaluating the introduction of new
'critical' dependencies in Geronimo.

I think we should at least ensure that a 'critical' external project meets
a minimum criteria, for example:

* An operational web site and documentation that describes the dependency
(more than just a paragraph).
* Operational mailing lists and mail archives
* Operational bug tracking system
* More than one Geronimo committer on the project

Currently some of the projects being discussed in this thread do not meet
the 'example' criteria above.  Just picture yourself as a new Geronimo
developer wanting to get involved.  Go to these project websites and try
looking at the mailing list archives and see how much information you can
find about the project.

What would be the impact to the Geronimo community if a critical project
initially met this criterial then stops meeting the 'example' criteria?

Have we identified the risks of depending on 'critical' external projects.
 I'm not saying we shouldn't rely upon them, but at least think about the
risks and how they can be minimised.  For example is it safe to rely upon
these assumptions?:

* that the project host will always be operating
* that the project host will backup the project source (mistakes can
happen) and that we will always have access to the source.
* that mailing list archives for the project kept by the hosting project
will always be available.
* that the bug tracking records for the project will always be available

If Geronimo is integrating best of breed external components, then IMHO,
the project infrastructure and community around those components should be
well established.

John

Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote on 06/07/2005 09:08:13
AM: