geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: CMP tables - can they be created automatically?
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:29:06 GMT
Jacek Laskowski <jlaskowski@apache.org> wrote on 06/07/2005 07:42:42 AM:

> Aaron Mulder wrote:
> >    I like the idea of generating DDL automatically.  I don't much
> > like the idea of applying it automatically, though if we generate it,
we
> > could easily provide a tool or command to apply the generated DDL.
> > Still, that reflects my development style as much as anything.  If
people
> > feel that it's valuable to support automatic creating and/or deleting,
> > that's OK, I just feel strongly that we should not make that the
default
> > behavior.
>
> I saw that the SunONE deployer has a command line option -generateSQL
> which I think is just for that. I assume it generates the SQLs to be run

> by a DBA. I wish we could have it, too. We could also have an option to
> configure if the schema should be altered or recreated or anything one
> could think of. At the very first, having SQLs generated is what I think

> developers would love.
>
> I've reported it as http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-710

A generateSQL option would be nice.  It would be useful to have an option
(not the default) as to whether the generated DDL is applied to enable
simple deployment of demonstration/evaluation applications.  If we make
this easy then more software vendors may utilise Geronimo in their
demo/evaluation versions of their J2EE applications.

John