geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Formalising private builds of external libraries (was Re: M4 - QA Branch details)
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:56:07 GMT
"Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@apache.org> wrote on 12/07/2005 10:57:34 PM:

> On Jul 11, 2005, at 11:07 PM, sissonj@insession.com wrote:
> >

> > It appears we have already been building defacto releases of external
> > libraries, e.g. the cglib library in our repo:
> > http://cvs.apache.org/repository/cglib/jars/
>
> You're right - there is a problem we have to deal with, but I'd
> rather see us try another approach to make things very clear and
> accountable.
>
> For any code that we must do this to we could adopt a strategery :
>
> 1) Make a copy in Apache SVN.  This code must be appropriately
> licensed (the Apache License) and there should be a very clear NOTICE
> about the source, what we're doing, that it's not a fork, etc, etc....
>
> 2) Produce a jar :
>
>         geronimo-private-cglib-20050711.jar
>
> 3) put that in
>
>        geronimo/jars
>
> So it's very clear that it's not a release by CGLib, but rather code
> from us, by us, from our repo.

Are planning on formalising the privately built jars using the above
strategy proposed by Geir for M4 or would our time be better spent
starting in M5?

For example, the patched version of xmlbeans and wsdl4j (GERONIMO-751) in
M4?

If we have people reporting bugs in M4 that involve these custom built
libraries, it won't be easy for developers to debug if they don't have the
source for these custom builds.  Are we happy to take that risk in M4?

How do people feel about adopting the above approach and release
documentation discussed below, moving forward?

Thanks,

John