geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: Unified Tomcat/Jetty Plans
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:23:22 GMT
Jacek Laskowski <jlaskowski@apache.org> wrote on 04/07/2005 07:39:59 PM:

> David Jencks wrote:
> > Rather than adding code to the builders to accept obsolete schema
> > versions, I would rather provide a standalone tool to update old
plans.
> >  I don't want to get into the business of supporting
> > non-formally-released obsolete formats forever.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> It's the easiest yet most elegant way I could read so far. I'd recommend

>   that way...until another better one will surface ;)
>
> > david jencks
>
> Jacek

I agree that we shouldn't be polluting our code to support obsolete
formats prior to the 1.0 release.

Another simple option is to start a Wiki page documenting all
configuration format changes that may impact existing users (each change
identified with a SVN version) and when we release a milestone add it to
the wiki page to indicate where the milestones are in relation to the svn
versions.  This way a user can look up the changes impacting their
existing configurations since the version/milestone they were using.  Each
change on the wiki could have a short description and a link to the JIRA
issue that discusses it in detail (since the JIRA issues will be used for
the release notes in milestone releases). The descriptions in the JIRA
issues should explain the issue with the configuration format prior to the
change, an overview of the new format and the changes the user must make
to move to the new configuration format.

Hopefully there won't be heaps of these changes, but IMHO at this stage of
the game it would be a pitty getting bogged down in backwards
compatibility.  We should have a disclaimer about compatibility for
milestone and unstable builds on the download page to ensure users have
reasonable expectations.

John