geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Proper use of Jira for defects that occur in multiple branches/releases (was Re: Outstanding tasks for M4)
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:01:27 GMT
David Jencks <djencks@gluecode.com> wrote on 20/07/2005 03:24:46 AM:

> what is the proper use of Jira for defects that occur in multiple
> branches/releases?  There are at least 2 issues fixed in head that need
> to be backported

I found an answer at
http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7186?decorator=printable

A user asked the question "We are now considering adding version
management to a project. A user has this question: What if a fix has been
slated for multiple versions, but the developer has only fixed it in one
version so far? There is no way to mark the issue as resolved for one
version but not the other. Maybe you can help explain how this workflow
would be handled within JIRA."

The answer was "The best way to deal with this situation would be to
create a new issue for each version and link these issues if necessary.
This way you will have one issue representing each piece of work that
needs to be done and the progress on each version can be tracked
separately. Clone issue functionality can ve handy here."

Although the recommendation involves creating more issues (the clone issue
function should make it easy), I think it is the safest way to manage
changes to multiple versions.  For example, someone may not have the time
to merge a fix into all branches immediately, this method allows them to
track the work outstanding on each branch.

It also would remove confusion in a scenario where someone fixes HEAD and
then merges the fix into a branch, but makes a mistake in the merging in
the branch.  The issue for HEAD can remain closed and the issue for the
branch can be reopened/kept open.

Comments as to whether this is the way we want to go moving forward?

John