geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:29:10 GMT

On Jul 9, 2005, at 5:09 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 04:28:47PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Thanks for keeping this subject, "subproject", out of the trifork
>> thread.  I think that they are independent issues and we should
>> quickly decide on how we work with TriFork and can talk about sub-
>> project structure independently...
>>

> Yea, but I do think it is related to the subproject concept.  IIRC,
> we're not going to see much code for a few weeks anyway.  So no
> harm in gathering experiences.
>
> Still waiting to hear from Dims on WS sub projects or any other ASF
> Members with experience to share.

I mentioned Jakarta too...

Maybe you could share how things work at OpenEJB?  I see that the CVS
appears to be divided into several top-level directories :

/contrib
/openejb
/openejb-sfnet
/openejb1
/website

Are these treated differently?  I assume that they have different
release cycles (where appropos...)?  Committers have broad access?

I suspect that the answers are "no", "yes" and "yes" and is generally
how I think our subprojects should work :

1) Distinct partitioning of the subprojects
2) Broad committer access to enable a strong community, with the
community value that when entering a new area, be respectful of
what's there, ask questions when you don't understand, etc...
3) Separate release cycles so that the parts are easy to depend on
both within the project and without
4) Single PMC overview and responsibility

For example, I could see us doing a "Geronimo The Container"
subproject, so that we have a clean separation of our generally-
useful-and-not-dependent-on-J2EE container and component
infrastructure, a "Geronimo J2EE COnfiguration" subproject (which
produces the Container+Configuration that is the J2EE 1.4 certified
server), a website+documentation subproject,  and other things, like
Dain's alternative implementation of the kernel that he has at
gbean.org, or if over time (long time) the ORB was able to be a
standalone thing, the "GeronimORB" subproject (although for now,
that's not anyones intention, IIRC)

geir
geirm@apache.org