geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donations & Policies
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:43:20 GMT

On Jul 11, 2005, at 10:56 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I think that we should have a single simple process.
> All vendors must propose the code donation to the community.
> Embarrassing denials can be averted by creating a gmail account and
> asking if people are interested in technology X going into Geronimo.

s/vendors/contributors/

Also, anyone can approach the PMC privately on
pmc@geronimo.apache.org if they wish to discuss a contribution before-
hand.  I see nothing wrong with that, and yes, if satisfied, we then
ask the contributor to propose directly to the community on dev@

> All code donations go into
>
> /geronimo/incubator/donationx/*
>
> The contributors would get restricted committer access to their
> project; granting committer access gives us better visibility how
> well the person works in a community setting.  They and, hopefully
> Geronimo committers, would whip it into shape.  The community would
> provide guidance and, hopefully, vote it into Geronimo once its
> ready and all the appropriate paper work was obtained.
> The "probationary" committers would, hopefully, get voted into
> Geronimo, regardless of their projects status.  I have never heard
> of a motivated developer not getting committer access.

I'd like to propose a slight modification.  That we give them
committer access w/o a formal, restricted ACL, but a clear
understanding that there's a place where they are bring brought in to
work, and if they wish to participate elsewhere, they do so via
standard engagement of working with others, learning about the area,
proposing changes on dev@ etc, until they and others are comfortable,
etc.

Any change can be vetoed, and any change can be rolled back.  I think
we should assume a level of trust, and if broken, commit priv can be
revoked.

Just consider for a little while.  I believe that this won't be a
popular suggestion, but the risk is small, and the upside great, it
keeps things simple, and I believe leads to a more unified, richer
community. :)

geir

geirm@apache.org