geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:53:47 GMT

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> How do I get progress bar *and* log level DEBUG?
>>

>     That doesn't make sense to me -- the DEBUG output would mangle the
> progress bar by inserting output between every time the progress
> bar tries
> to repaint its progress line.  Besides resulting in tons of separate
> progress lines, since the progress bar doesn't emit carriage
> returns while
> rendering, I think the first debug message after a repaint is
> appended to
> the end of the progress line instead of starting a line of its own.
> Finally, the status information provided by the progress bar is
> more or
> less duplicated by log messages announcing as each component is
> started.

I see.  Ok. I'l admit I hadn't tried it, but was going on what you
had posted to the list.

I had figured that the debug output was going to a logfile, and the
progress bar was on the console ('stdout'), so a human could see the
progress coming up, and still have the full record in the log.  You
could also print the current progress bar into the log at each update
point, so people could put two and two together, so to speak...

>     If we were willing and able to eliminate all DEBUG and INFO output
> from the server startup sequence, we could keep the progress and
> still get
> the DEBUG or INFO messages after startup.  However, I think that's
> unlikely.  For example, I got ActiveMQ to agree not to emit a WARN
> message
> if the necessary JMS tables are already available at startup, but it
> didn't sound like they were prepared to forego that message entirely.

Yah - I think we definitely need to have all info available for
people, but the progress bar idea is cool too...

geir

geirm@apache.org