geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:53:07 GMT

On Jul 9, 2005, at 8:33 PM, David Blevins wrote:

>>> You *could* maintain separate ACL's till the incubation is done. But
>>> it's better to get everyone involved as soon as possible.
>>>

>> We won't be "incubating" anything in here - if we want to incubate,
>> we should go to the incubator.
>>

> I'd like to show my ignorance and openly say, "I don't get it."  I
> don't understand subtlety you guys are talking about.
>
> I'd also like to repsectfully ask people not to use wording like "we
> won't be" as I don't know the rules enough to know if that really
> means "we aren't allowed to" or "the best decision, IMHO, is to".

Ah - sorry.  "We aren't allowed to"

The Apache Incubator is where new independent communities are created
and thus if we wanted to do something like that here, we would be
asked to take it to the incubator.  I'm hoping that we can avoid that
little eddy of a discussion because it was my impression from the
fone call yesterday that everyone was interested in bringing the
TriFork people into our community directly.  Please correct my
impression if I'm wrong.

>> I see incubating as building a separate, distinct community, and I
>> don't think any of us want to do that here in Geronimo, but rather
>> incorporate the Trifork people right into our community from day 1.
>>
>> That said, separate ACLs doesn't mean we're incubating, IMO.
>>

> Again, I'm having a hard time isolating the decisions we have to make
> from the perspectives on how we should make them (sorry).  It's
> difficult having never had to think about this stuff before.

Right - this is why I didn't want to muddy the water with a formal
discussion of "subproject" but rather talk about how we take these
first steps with TriFork as I think we can from that evolve in more
of an iterative organic way.

> So, it seems we have to get a handle on:
>  - Separate ACL or one ACL

Yep.  That's a question.

>  - One Repo or x repos

I think we can drop this as the ACL issue is the same.  One repo with
separate ACLs should be the same as multiple repos each with one ACL

>  - Incubate or not incubate (still not sure on what that means)

Maybe phrase it as "part of Geronimo community or a separate one"
rather than debate the finer points of incubation.  If we want this
to be a separate community on it's own, it goes to incubator.  That's
not a choice  for us. I personally would prefer to bring these people
in right away so we can work together here.

>  - Separate release cycle or one release cycle

 From the sound of it, there isn't anything "distinct" to release for
a while, so i think we can punt that to later if it ever becomes
something separable.

>  - Separate lists or same lists (is that on the table?)

I hope not.  I'm all for one dev list...

> Is that anywhere near comprehensive or accurate?

perfect.

geirm@apache.org