geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website page for community members building on Geronimo or providing support and services around Geronimo
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:18:04 GMT

On Jul 1, 2005, at 4:28 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> A couple of questions:
>
> * Is there any legal expose for the ASF in doing this. I would think
>   that at a minimum we would need to state that there was no
> endorsement
>   explicit or implied for any of the things listed.

Yep. Indeed.

> * What, if any, validation would we do that the description was
>   accurate e.g. that XYZ Consulting actually does what is described?
>   Does that create any risk of endorsement?

In the past, I've only done it based on the outfit wishing to be
added telling us what they want on there, and then us using our good
sense to keep it descriptive rather than "creating marketing".  I've
personally never had to reject though - I think that the community
thing keeps people from getting too exuberant.

> * What are the policies for dealing with disputes and/or removal?
>   E.g. if ABC Co. disagrees with what XYZ said?

Again, we want to keep it simple and descriptive - if XYZ says
"Apache Geronimo consulting and services" we'd be ok, but if they
said "leading provider of Apache Geronimo consulting and services"
we'd not allow that anyway (or I'd vote against it...)

For disputes, I think we leave it up to the PMC to be the final
arbiter here...

> * Do we clean up entries after a period of time if the
>   project/company dies?

Sure... if the link to the company dies, then we remove it.

> Should we run this by legal-discuss or is it something that has
> been clarified before with other projects?

We've done it before elsewhere for years without a problem.  I'm
willing to give it a whirl here...

To me, the point is really to let people know what resources are
available in the community, and thus if we keep the pointers to
projects, products and service providers simple and factual, like a
"white pages", we should be ok.

geir

geirm@apache.org