geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of Admin Console- request for help
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:25:55 GMT

On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2005, at 10:30 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>>> I think you have mixed several separate issues together here.
>>> SoC is a different issue we have discussed before.  I believe
>>> that the community wants the Trifork donation to be a subproject,
>>> so will enter via the incubator.  The IBM donation falls into a
>>> separate category.
>>>

>> No, it's not clear to me what the "community" wants re TriFork.
>> It was my understanding that the code would come here along with
>> some people to work on it to get things going as fast as possible.
>>

> Note I wrote "I believe".  Based on conversations I've had and from
> what I have seen on this list, *I believe* that this code will
> ultimately end up in a subproject.

I believed from our call that irrespective of subprojectness, they
would be coming here directly, and you agreed with that.

>> Lets put aside "who" for now and come up with a generally
>> acceptable policy.
>>

> I agree that "who" doesn't matter, but *I believe* it is a case-by-
> case basis decided based on the code base proposed for donation.
> An ORB and a web-console are vastly different beasts.

Yep, but we need to have a consistent policy, right?

>>> I suggest that IBM makes the code visible, so Aaron and other can
>>> begin to review it.  If we decide that we want the code (and IBM
>>> finishes legal), we check it into /geronimo/trunk/sandbox/$
>>> {console-name-here}, work with it there until we are happy, and
>>> then move it to /geronimo/trunk/applications/${console-name-here}.
>>>

>> As long as this becomes our general policy for accepting code and/
>> or new committers here, I'm fine with it.
>>

> What are you talking about?  We are in a thread to discuss the
> specific donation of the IBM console, not a thread to decide a
> policy on general code donation and committers.  If you would like
> to discuss those, please start a new thread and address it directly.

Well, have you read the whole thread?   Aaron introduced the concept
of a general solution :

"I believe the question is essentially the same as the question
around the TriFork CORBA donation."

If you wish to change the subject line, lets do it if we need to...

geir

geirm@apache.org