geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:49:52 GMT

On Jul 6, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote, On 7/6/2005 4:39 AM:

>>> I like the idea of:
>>>
>>> java -jar server.jar -quiet           Very quiet startup, log
>>> level  WARN
>>> java -jar server.jar                  Progress bar, server
>>> version,  etc.
>>> java -jar server.jar -loglevel INFO   No progress, log level INFO
>>> java -jar server.jar -loglevel DEBUG  No progress, log level DEBUG
>>>

>> This is what I was going to suggest, except just having an
>> explicit  set of flags  and WARN as the default log level, since
>> it's my  understanding these are independent degrees of freedom
>> (progress bar  and log level...)
>>
>> java -jar server.jar -noprogress                 (very quiet, WARN)
>> java -jar server.jar                             (noisy startup...)
>> java -jar server.jar -noprogress -loglevel INFO  (you can guess...)
>> java -jar server.jar -noprogress -loglevel DEBUG
>> java -jar server.jar -loglevel DEBUG
>>

> I am not fond of having a command line argument called noprogress.

That's fine.  I meant to use "quiet" rather than "noprogress".  Sorry.

My point wasn't about the name as much as having switches that
overlap as "quiet" and "loglevel" do above (they both shut off the
progress bar...)

So for your latter two examples, just add the -quiet flag to shut off
the progress bar, rather than it being a side effect of the -loglevel
switch...

geir

geirm@apache.org