geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Startup Output
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 07:45:57 GMT
On 7/4/05, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
>         OK, it's at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~ammulder/new-startup-example.zip
>
>         Unzip it, go to the geronimo-1.0-SNAPSHOT directory it creates,
> and run "java -jar bin/server.jar".  You have to run it from that dir
> because it starts Tomcat and I didn't have Jeff's latest fix in my tree.
> There are no changes for deployment, so having an app won't help (though
> the debug tool WAR is deployed by default).
>
>         If you want to suppress the progress output, add "-noprogress" to
> the command line.

Damn that's nice, Aaron! This is *exactly* what I had in mind during
the installer/configurator threads. Perl can achieve this very easily
and I wanted to figure out a decent way to do the same in Java using a
PrintStream or a PrintWriter.

I agree that offering the Geronimo version number is a great idea, as
is some kind of Ready! message. (IIRC, Websphere prints out a message
stating 'Open for e-business' when it is started. Now that's just
hokey, but something indicating readiness is a good idea).

I'm also wondering about a shutdown sequence as well. Have you considered that?

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/